Friday, October 29, 2010

Help! My chain fell off! The hands-free "Latch-On" Method

Just before doing my first 24 solo, the cage on my front derailleur broke. I used JB Weld and duct tape to hold it together. This worked, but shifting occasionally resulted in the chain being thrown off. After the race, I learned a nifty little trick called the “latch on” and I wish I had known this before.

Dirty Fingers Method: Stop the bike, get off the bike, and use your hands to put the chain back on.

Latch-On Method: The latch on method is really nifty. If the chain falls off to the outside of the chainrings, shift the front derailleur to the smaller chainring and start pedaling. The chain magically pops right back on. Likewise, if the chain falls off to the inside of the chainrings, just shift to the larger chainring and start pedaling. No stopping, no greasy fingers, not much lost time… sweet little trick!

Here's a video:

No comments:

Post a Comment